Alternative Service Break
The Alternative Service Break (ASB) trip program is a unique service-learning experience in which students engage in direct service to a community, while being immersed in the culture and customs of that community. Teams are led by student team leaders and accompanied by faculty advisors. Throughout the trip, team members participate in a variety of cultural, educational, recreational and reflective activities to enhance their service experience.
Goals of the Program
- To help develop and enhance a value for public service, civic engagement and service-learning within the participants.
- To develop diverse service teams committed to exploring and advocating for social justice issues.
- To help participants reflect on their privileges and begin to use these to break down the systems that afford unearned privilege in our society.
- To provide opportunities for participants to reflect on their roles in a global community.
- To provide opportunities for cultural and language immersion through service projects with diverse individuals and communities.
In order to apply, please attend one of these Informational Meetings
Wednesday, August 27 - 1pm
Wednesday, Sepember 3 - 3pm
Thursday, September 4 - 1pm
Tuesday, September 9 - 3pm
Thursday, September 11 - 7pm
Monday, September 15 - 3pm
All of the above meetings will be held in Talley Student Union 4280
Application Deadline is Tuesday, September 16th
(Application will be live and available beginning of Fall Semester)
Additional Dates that all selected participants will need to be able to attend
ASB Reveal Night
September 23 - 7:30pm
All Community Meeting I
October 19 - 6pm
All Community Meeting II
November 9 - 6pm
ASB Day of Service
February 14 - ALL DAY
April 20 - 3pm
Questions about the ASB program? Contact Adam Culley (firstname.lastname@example.org)