Leadership In Action Overview
Overview of Leadership In Action 4 Year Program
PHASE 1 - Education
To be a well rounded leader Phase 1 is divided into 2 sections: Discover 1 & 2.
Freshman Year - The "Discover 1" class is an 10 week program where students learn about the Social Change Model of Leadership. You will be in a small group (10-14 participants) led a CSLEPS instructor and a LIA upper-class Teaching Assistant.
- Attend LIA Opening Program November 8, 2012
- Attend OrgSync Training and a team builder day in December of 2012.
- Attend LIA Freshman Retreat on Saturday, January 26, 2013
- Attend Weekly Class in Feb, March and 1 week of April.
- Students complete a service project together on a Saturday in February (TBA).
- Attend LIA Closing Program / All Community Meeting on April 21, 2013 from 7-9pm.
Sophomore Year - Discover 2 focuses on learning about your MBTI personality type, Emotional Intelligence, creating a vision for socially responsible leadership and beginning a "SERVE" project where you will volunteer for 30 hours at a local non-profit, educational, etc agency of your choice. You will begin working on your Visionary Leaders Certificate your sophomore year.
- Attend "All Community Meetings" with every member of LIA
- Attend the LIA Sophomore Retreat - 2nd weekend of September.
- Take LDS Workshops towards earning the Visionary Leaders Certificate
- Complete a leadership coaching meeting with a upper-class LIA peer.
PHASE 2 - Practice
Junior Year - Participants attend a retreat where they will learn about the Relational Leadership Model, Multicultural Competency and Mentoring.
- Attend LIA All Community Meetings
- Attend the LIA Junior Retreat - 3rd weekend of September.
- Complete a "Broadening My Horizons" experience.
- Complete the Visionary Leaders Certificate
- Participants will be actively involved in a student organization, job or research project
Senior Year - Participants will select a "capstone" leadership project where they will apply all the knowledge and skills learned in Phase 1 & 2. After completing phase 3, students earn the Leadership In Action Diploma.
- Attend LIA All Community Meetings (as noted above)
- Attend the Senior Retreat 4th weekend of September.
- Complete a Senior Capstone project including a reflection paper and presentation at the closing program in April 2013.
For more information, please contact Becca Bender, LIA Program Advisor