Alternative Service Break
The Alternative Service Break (ASB) program is a unique learning experience in which students engage in direct service to a community, while being immersed in the culture. Teams are led by students and accompanied by faculty advisors. Throughout the trip, team members participate in a variety of cultural, educational, recreational and reflective activities to enhance their service experience.
During Fall/Spring Break our student groups volunteer in NC, across the country and around the world. Teams sponsored by the Center for Student Leadership, Ethics & Public Service and other campus partners focus on water quality and sanitation; affordable housing; youth education and empowerment; medical clinics; GLBT and civil rights; and environmental issues. Several other service trips give students an opportunity to minister to others in locations around the globe.
Goals of the Program
- To help develop and enhance a value for public service, civic engagement and service-learning within the participants.
- To develop diverse service teams committed to exploring and advocating for social justice issues.
- To help participants reflect on their privileges and begin to use these to break down the systems that afford unearned privilege in our society.
- To provide opportunities for participants to reflect on their roles in a global community.
- To provide opportunities for cultural and language immersion through service projects with diverse individuals and communities.
- No references needed, just the application questionnaire to apply
- Review the application guide
Be Sure to Attend an Information Meeting!
Travel Award Support
|Fall Break – 10/6 – 10/9||View Trips||Fall Break Application||Application|
|Winter Break – 12/31-1/7||View Trips||Winter Break Application||Application|
|Spring Break – 3/4 – 3/11||View Trips||Spring Break Application||Application|
|Summer Break (May Term – Park Scholars only)||View Trips||Summer Break Application|
|Confused with Study Abroad Application?||Information on how to Apply
with Study Abroad system
We now have great people on campus to help take care of passports, but you need to schedule early!
Passport Services at NC State
For students considering international travel, it is vital that you have updated travel documents and any travel VISA’s to join your group.
Please check your respective Embassy for accurate information.
Applications for Passport must be made by November 30th for Spring and Summer Trips
Information on ZIKA
We are continuing to monitor information and encourage you to visit the most current information on the CDC Website
Country Specific Information and Travel Information
Visit the US Department of State Website about country specific information
- Fall Break Applications Due – September 14
- Spring/Winter Break Applications Due – September 28
- ASB Reveal Night – October 13 – 7:00pm (Talley Ballroom)
- All Community Meeting I – November 9 – 7:00pm (Talley Ballroom)
- All Community Meeting II -TBA
- ASB Celebration – TBA
ASB Information Meetings
*You must attend 1 information meeting in order to apply for an ASB experience.
August 31st – Talley 3222 (3:00 – 4:00pm)
September 6th – Talley 4280 (11:45 – 12:45pm)
September 8th – Wolf Ridge (3:00 – 4:00pm)
September 16th – Witherspoon 126 (2:00 – 3:00pm)
September 19th – Witherspoon 201 (4:30 – 5:30pm)
September 22nd – Hunt Library, Duke Energy Hall (3:00 – 4:00pm)
September 26th – Talley 3222 (11:45 – 12:45pm)
September 26th – Wolf Ridge (2:00 – 3:00pm)
September 27th – Talley 3222 (7:00 – 8:00pm)
Questions about the ASB program? Contact Adam Culley (email@example.com)