ACC Leadership Symposium
Applications are open
The 2018 ACC Leadership Symposium was hosted at Duke University from Friday, Feb. 9 through Sunday, Feb. 11. The 2019 Symposium will be at NC State University!
The Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) has long supported the efforts of its member institutions in developing student leaders – through athletics and campus life. Through the support of the ACC, each year 5-6 undergraduate student leaders (accompanied by a faculty/staff advisor) from each ACC university gather at a host university for a 3-day leadership symposium to share both leadership strategies and knowledge regarding a specific social issue. Each year, applications are available to undergraduate students at the end of Fall to attend the symposium in February of the following year.
2018 ACC Leadership Symposium
“Contentious Times: A Call for Courageous Leadership”
Duke University, February 9-11, 2018
The 2018 ACC Leadership Symposium is a 3-day leadership conference aimed at engaging students with peers across the ACC conference and a NC State delegation of five students will be selected. In a time when university, local, and national politics have become ripe with tension, our student leaders need to be more prepared than ever to navigate those intricacies and handle conflict. This weekend will call on them to define “courageous leadership” for themselves and built their knowledge of hot button issues. The program is intended for students with an interest in advancing their leadership capacities.
The symposium will include (but not limited to) the following topics:
- Leadership Development
- Exploring the Hero’s Journey and definitions of courageous leadership
- In-depth looks at actual case studies from our ACC institutions
- Conversations with leaders who do this hard work every day
Throughout the symposium, student participants will:
- Engage in group learning and individual breakout sessions;
- Understand the need for courageous leadership
- Reflect on how their leadership shows up in difficult situations
- Reinforce the responsibility to engage in broader society.
Note: All expenses will be covered for students selected to serve on the NC State delegation.
What Students Gain?
The symposium is designed to develop a community of ACC undergraduate students who understand the relationship between global and local issues and work collaboratively to create innovative initiatives that advance students’ capacity for global leadership. Student leaders will have the opportunity to learn through intensive engagement in educational sessions, keynote addresses, topical content exploration, simulations and experiential application.
Expectations for selected student delegates are:
- Represent North Carolina State University and uphold the policies, standards and values of our university
- Attend mandatory training sessions prior to the symposium to prepare for the conference
- Actively participate in the symposium and engage with other attendees
- Implement and/or share what you learned from the symposium with the NC State community
Past ACC Symposium Themes
2017 – Wake Forest University “Wellbeing & Social Change: I Thrive, You Thrive, We Thrive”
2016 – Clemson University “Activism for Sustained Social Change”
2015 – Notre Dame “Inspiring Inclusion, Creating Community, Launching Leaders”
2014 – University of Miami “The Next Generation of Social Change”
For more information about the ACC Leadership Symposium, please email email@example.com.