Service in the Mountains: First year student service break
What impact does building a 469-mile road have on a park and the surrounding community? As a member of this ASB team, you will have the opportunity to learn about and engage in service on the Blue Ridge Parkway in Asheville, NC. Our team will begin the trip with a visit to the Cherokee Indian Museum followed by two days of service with various Asheville nonprofits that focus on the environmental, economic and sociopolitical impacts of the Parkway on surrounding North Carolina communities. This ASB trip will challenge you to critically reflect and analyze the intersectionality of community issues, your role and responsibility within yourcommunity, as well as how you can bring the knowledge and skills you learn back home to NC State and Raleigh.
- Break dates: Thursday, October 5 – Sunday, October 8, 2017
- Pre-break meetings: September 7th, 14th, 21st, and 28th from 7:30pm-8:30pm
- Location: Asheville, North Carolina
- Estimated trip cost will be $150-200 and will include covers transportation, housing, and meals. (Travel award support available for those who express need.)
- Space available for new first-year and transfer students at NC State
For any additional questions, please contact Genna Martella at email@example.com.